Now that you have your orthodontic appliances, you must be sure to brush your teeth and gums better than ever before. Extra care must be taken in the area between the gums and your appliances. Food that collects around your braces and wires can cause swollen gums, permanent stains (decalcification or white spots), and cavities.
• Brush your teeth with a soft-bristled toothbrush after you eat and before bed.
• Brush, rinse, and look; if you find any areas that are not clean, brush them again.
• Brush your gums as you brush your teeth.
• If no toothpaste is available, brush without.
• If you are unable to brush, rinse your mouth vigorously with water.
• Replace your old toothbrush when it gets worn out.
It is absolutely essential that you continue regular visits to your family dentist for checkups and cleanings throughout your orthodontic treatment!